Operation Don’t Touch Your Salary
What would you do with you salary if you don’t need it to survive?
A lot of us wage earners don’t have come to terms with pay day, making budget and allocations to manage your income all through the month, with hopes to have a little left to save at the end of the month. Why that is fine and prudent, I will suggest to you a radical approach to making more out of your paycheck.
First you must understand that earning wages doesn’t exempt you from the entrepreneurship journey. For me an entrepreneur is someone who sees value and positions himself to be the one providing it. The thing is that you have been providing value to the company you work for since, all you needed was to see it and position better. When I hear value, I translate to income. Now your goals as someone giving value to a single company is to build competence to be able to give value to as many markets as manageable without affecting your main work. Simply put, you need extra sources of income or value.
The “Operation don’t touch your salary” was initialized during a marketing campaign lead by one powerful marketer I know. We were to engage our minds so much so that we “don’t need to touch our salary” as means through the month but can save or invest the entire thing. I must say before it was introduced to me, I thought of saving, investment and passive income in a very small way. But this changed it for me. It was like a check box I needed to think each month. Now that you have the concept, how do you use it?
I will share my experience so you can draw ideas. So engaging “Operation don’t touch your salary” meant that I had to think had to come up with ways to make income asides my salary. We were also advised to stay hungry. We would invest or lock away about 3/4 of our income and go in search of ways to make income (By we, I mean people in participating in the movement). For me I had to do the following:
- I had to travel to the market to get electronics especially used monitors at cheap rates to sell to my fellow developers and designers.
- I increased my zeal for my marketing en-devours and it often yielded some form of income.
- I shared my creative portfolio more often on social media platform so as to get access to more clients.
- I became frugal with my money, I eat just enough, bought only what I needed and took opportunities that help me save.
- I was a little more friendly with pricing for small scale design projects.
- I listen to Pat Flynn on the smart passive income podcast. Lots of ideas and stories from people who are becoming successful in the art of generating passive income.
Now that I have exposed you to this awesome concept, it’s too late to unlearn it, the what ifs will force you to attempt, think of ways you can make passive income to prevent you from touching you income. It might involve
- Become a mini agency connecting talent for a fee, i
- Walking pets,
- Baby sitting,
- Tutoring people who need it,
- Make cookies and selling,
- Flipping cheap products from the local or international market
- Paid stand up comedy performance or dance performance
- Making beads or knitting cloths
- Fixing electronics
With this few points I hope I have inspired you to attempt “Operation Don’t Touch Your Salary”. My Mentors says, you must not think in terms of salary, it blocks your wisdom pipe, but think like an entrepreneur or even an entrepreneur.
Thanks for reading…